Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Episode 205: Japanese Traditional Moon Watching


This is KSU podcast. My name is Yuki and this is Eri.

E: Hi, Yuki. How are you?

Y: Hi, Eri. I’m fine. And you?

E: Me too because it has been nice weather recently.

Y: I agree with you. It is already September.

E: Oh, It is time to watch the moon.

Y: Yeah. What day will it be this year?

E: It’s October 4th. It is called Jugoya. Generally, it is held in August 15th in the lunar calendar.

Y: OK, thank you. By the way, I don’t know about watching the moon in detail.

E: OK, I’ll tell you about it.

Y: That’s nice. I’m not sure about its origin. Do you know?

E: Yes. First, we thank the moon. Ancient people needed light when they harvested crops. Light is from the sun or moon. Second, we thank crops and wish for a good harvest. Third, I think you know.

Y: Well…… Maybe we should enjoy watching the moon.

E: Yes. Do you know what is used?

Y: Of course. We use some dumplings and Japanese silver grass. It is said that we make rice dumplings which look like the moon. And Japanese silver grass is used as decoration to harvest a lot of rice because it is similar to ears of rice.

E: Oh, I see. It seems fun to know. Shall we do it?

Y: Sure. That sounds good. Thank you for listening.


Check out this episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment