Saturday, December 3, 2016

Episode 155: Local Food from Nagano and Kyoto


A: Hello. I’m Kaho and this is Yuma. This is KSU student podcast.

B: Hi, Kaho. What are you doing?

A: Hi, Yuma. Now I’m researching about local foods.

B: It sounds good. Well, where is your hometown?

A: Nagano prefecture.

B: Then, please talk about Nagano local food.

A: Ok. Umm, oh do you know “Oyaki”?

B: Yes, I have heard the name, but I don’t know a lot about that. Please teach me.

A: Of course. “Oyaki” is one of the local foods of Nagano prefecture. It looks like Manju. Oyaki is wrapped vegetables or pickles filling with dough which made from wheat flour or soba flour. We have a lot of snow in Nagano, so the amount of yield from the rice crop were not good. So we wrap the vegetables in soba instead of rice.

B: I didn’t know about it.

A: And even the way of cooking Oyaki is different from location to location.

B: Thank you for teaching me about something.

A: You’re welcome.

B: Well, do you know any traditional dishes of Kyoto?

A: I know Yatsuhashi, Hamo’s dishes and Tsukemono. But I don’t know the details. Please tell me about these.

B: OK. Today, I’ll introduce you to Hamo’s dishes. It has a lot of tradition, so it’s very interesting. At first, what do you think of Hamo’s menu?

A: I know Yuriki and Tempura. Come to think it, why is hamo’s sliced so thinly?

B: Because Hamo has many small bones. If you cut it differenly, you can’t eat it.

A: I see. Thank you for answer my question.

B: No problem. Next, I tell you menu which uses hamo as traditional dishes. Do you know Kyoto people eat it before the Gion Festival?

A: No. What is the reason?

B: Gion Festival is held in July. In summer, Kyoto’s old people can’t eat other fish because Kyoto is far from the sea. Other fish die and go bad because of the heat. But Hamo can live, so people can eat it fresh. This tradition continues until now.

A: I see. I want to eat it next summer. Do you know restaurants that we can eat Hamo?

B: Yes. Let’s eat it together next summer.

This is our podcast. Thank you for listening.


Check out this episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment