Monday, June 13, 2016

Episode 072 - Did you know this about Korean culture and langauge?


Differences about Japanese culture and Korean culture

A: This is KSU podcast. I'm Aoi and this is Haruna I'm majoring in business administration. What are you majoring in?

H: I'm majoring in Korean, I'm very interested in Korean culture, so today shall we talk about differences between Korea and Japan?

A: Sure! I'm interested in them too!

H: Do you know anything about Korean culture?

A: Umm.. I know Korean people call their old brothers or sisters Oppa or Eon ni. I've heard it when I watched a Korean drama.

H: Yeah. That’s right. They call their older bother, Oppa, and their older sister, Eon ni, but only girls can say these words.

A: Really? So, how about boys? What do boys call them?

H: They call their older brothers, Hyeong, and their older sisters, Nuna.

A: Wow. That's interesting. They are few cultures in Japan.

H: Yes. Sometimes we are confused because they use those words even if they aren't true brothers or sisters.

A: What do you mean?

 
H: Korean people use the words,  Oppa, Eon ni, Hyeong, and Nuna when they call not only true bothers but also close older friends.

A: Wow... I didn't know that. Korean people value this familial way of thinking, don't they?

H: Yes, you're right. They often use honorific words with their parents too.

A: Really? I can't believe it! There are many differences between Korean and Japan even though they are next to each other. I want to know more about Korea.

H: Yeah. Studying cultures is very interesting. Let's study more together!!  
Thank you for listening. We hope you learned something new.


Check out this episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment