Monday, June 12, 2017

Episode 171: Famous Festivals around Japan


Ami: Hello! This is KSU student podcast. My name is Ami and this is Riria. Have you ever been to a Japanese festival?

Riria: No. I’ve never been to a Japanese festival. How about you?

A: I go to a Japanese festival every year. I studied about them two years ago, so I will introduce Japanese festivals to you. “Omatsuri” means a ritual for worshipping gods or Buddha, or an event held in gratitude towards nature. At the festival, you can see lots of people wearing traditional Japanese clothes called “Yukata”. Also, small shops can be seen at festivals. You can buy “Wata ame” and “Anzu ame” and try “Goldfish scooping”.

R: Wow! It looks fun. Please tell me more.

A: Ok. There are up to 300,000 festivals throughout Japan. Among them, the most famous festivals are Japan’s three biggest festivals. Japan’s three biggest festival consist of “Gion Festival” in Kyoto, “Tenzin Festival” in Osaka, and “Kanda Festival” in Tokyo. Northeastern three great festivals consists of “Nebuta Festival” in Aomori, “Sendai Tanabata Festival” in Miyagi and “Akita Kantou Festival” in Akita are also famous.

R: I have heard of “Gion Festival” in Kyoto!

A: The Gion Festival is held at Yasaka Shrine in Kyoto for one month from July 1 every year and is a long festival. Also, there is a history of more than 1000 years.

R: Wow! I‘m surprised that it has a long history. How many people come to the festival every year?

A: Well... About 1-1.2 million visitors come there every year.

R: Really? I have watched participants carry “mikoshi” on their shoulders on TV.

A: Yes! Gion Festival is famous for the mikoshi. Men who carry a big mikoshi on their shoulders, walk downtown. You will be overwhelmed by it. I want you to see it.

R: I want to see it too. Shall we go to the Gion Festival?

A: Ok! I’m looking forward to going there. See you, Riria.

R: See you. I think that’s all for today. Thanks for listening to KSU Student Podcast. We hope you have learned something new.


Check out this episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment