Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Episode 175: It's never too late to talk about Valentine's Day


H:  Hi, my name is Hayato.  
Y:  Hi, my name is Yukina. This is KSU student podcast.
H:  Do you know the origin of Valentine's Day?
Y:  I don't know that. Do you know?
H:  Of course. It was the very sad story.
Y:  Oh really? It is different from my image of Valentine's Day.
H:  I think so too.
Y:  That's interesting. I want to know. Can you tell me?
H:  OK. It was a long time ago from now.
Y:  How long ago was it?
H:  Well, let me see… About 1,700 years ago.
Y:  Wow! What a surprise!
H:  The Emperor Roman then banned young people's marriage.  
Y:  He was an emperor who did terrible things.
H:  The priest Valentine was sorry for young people and kept them married in secret.
Y:  Oh! How kind St. Valentine was.
H:  But that was known to the emperor, and St. Valentine was executed at the end of the imprisonment.
Y: Oh dear…
H: The day when he was executed was February 14.
Y:  I see. That is origin of Valentine's Day.
H:  Yes. That's right.
Y:  Thank you for telling me that story.
H:  You're welcome.
H:  By the way, it is said that more than half of the chocolates sold in a year are sold around Valentine's Day in Japan. Did you know it?
Y:  Oh really? I didn’t know that, but I know that there are many kinds of chocolates in Japan. Such as obligation chocolate and friend            chocolate.  
H:  You know about it very well. Yes, chocolates given to men whom women don't feel special love for are called "obligation chocolate" in Japan. Many young Japanese women exchange chocolate gifts with their friends too. These chocolates are called "friend chocolates".
Y:  Japanese chocolate culture is very proud. A new kind seems to have appeared from now.
H:  I am glad to have talked to you! Bye for now.
Y:  I am glad to have talked to you too. See you around.
H:  I think that's all for today. Thanks for listening to KSU student podcast. We hope you have learned something new.


Check out this episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment