Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Episode 212: Differences between Kansai and Toyama Culture


A: This is KSU student podcast. This is Momoko and this is Tomohiro.

B: Hello. I don’t speak with you very much. Where are you from?

A: I’m from Kyoto. How about you?

B: I’m from Toyama.

A: Oh, really? A half year has passed since you came to Kyoto. Do you feel some differences between your hometown and here?

B: Well, Toyama is famous for dishes which use Shiroebi and firefly squid. But Kyoto doesn’t use them very much.

A: Shiroebi? Not sakura shrimp?

B: Yeah, it is often eaten as sliced raw fish, sushi, or raw fish. It is very delicious.

A: That is the first time I’ve heard of it. I wanted to eat them.

B: Now that you mention it, is there some food which is famous in Kyoto?

A: Kyo-yasai is famous here, but it’s not food.

B: Oh, I’ve heard about it, but I don’t know well.

A: Manganji pepper, Kintoki carrot, Horikawa burdock, and so on. All of them taste a little different from normal vegetables.

B: Manganji pepper? Different taste?

A: Yes, it isn’t more hotter than normal chili. It is often cooked with small fish.

B: Wow, is it sold in supermarket?

A: Yes, supermarket and vegetable store.

B: I’ll find this when I go to the store. Also, that reminds me. I was surprised at Kansai Japanese.

A: Kansai Japanese? Maybe “Yan’na?”

B: Yes! I was a little surprised not only Kansai Japanese but also intonation.

A: I have been living in here since I was born, so I didn’t notice. 

B: I see. There are not only expression but also many things.

A: Yes, I think that the climate is also different.

B: Certainly, the summer in Kyoto was very hot.

A: As I expected, Toyama is cooler than Kyoto? I have such an image.

B: Uh... It isn’t cool. Kyoto is hot every day, but Toyama isn’t so.

A: That’s nice. Many people say the summer in Kyoto is hot and humid.

B: Instead, winter is very cold.

A: I have such an image.

B: It has a lot of snow.

A: Wow, how much snow does Toyama have?

B: The highest is... about our height.

A: Our height!?

B: Yes, but recently, it hasn’t snowed so much. It may be under our knees.

A: It depends on each year. Last year Kyoto had much snow, but as usual isn’t so much.

B: Oh, how about in this year?

A: I don’t know well even if it has a little snow, it’s freezing cold because Kyoto is a basin.

B: Freezing cold...  Surely, recently it is getting cold.

A: Yes. Toyama and Kyoto are in the same country, Japan. But there are some difference points. It is interesting.

B: Today was a good chance to know about Kyoto. Thank you.

A: See you.

I think that’s all for today. Thanks for listening to KSU student podcast.

We hope you have learned something new.


Check out this episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment